The Culverites

An on-line reading group working through Dr Robert Culver's Systematic Theology (2005). Please join the conversation!

Thursday, June 29, 2006

A Systematic Theology of Scripture Lacking in Culver

Mary and I are reading Culver and Grudem in parallel each night. I've read Culver's introduction and now Mary is reading it while I read Grudem's introduction, then we'll swap again, etc.

One thing has really struck me about Culver's ST: there is no separate section dealing with God's Word. The Doctrine of Scripture is fundamental truth that really should be dealt with in an ST. We shouldn't just say, "Well, I believe in Scripture; now, let's see what it has to say about everything else." Scripture has so much to say about itself that is fundamental to Christian belief.

We are to begin officially in the Autumn/Fall, but I think it is fair to say this in the preparatory phase.

4 Comments:

Blogger Allen R. Mickle, Jr. said...

Timothy,

I haven't gotten my copy yet. Are you saying there is no definite section on bibliology in Culver's theology?

Allen

Friday, June 30, 2006 10:08:00 PM  
Blogger Timothy Davis said...

Yes, but it's still profitable and both Mary and I like his writing style. He's very engaging and evidences the right spirit in theological discussion.

I still really, really like Grudem (although he is charismatic). Have you read him?

Friday, June 30, 2006 11:03:00 PM  
Blogger Jim Basinger said...

Neither did Calvin have a separate section on the authority of Scripture. I.7 deals with it, and of course so do other parts as well.

Jim B

Saturday, July 01, 2006 5:08:00 PM  
Blogger Timothy Davis said...

Yes, I understand what you're saying, Jim, and I did consider it, but consultation of the index hasn't shown that it is adequately dealt with elsewhere. I hope I'm proved wrong, but clearly it doesn't make Culver's ST irrelevant without it. It would have been more complete and useful if it did have a Bibliology.

Sunday, July 02, 2006 9:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home