The Culverites

An on-line reading group working through Dr Robert Culver's Systematic Theology (2005). Please join the conversation!

Monday, June 26, 2006

Philip's Bio

Just so that Timothy doesn't feel lonely as the only 'non-professional' theologian I am also taking part in the Culverites blog.My name is Philip S. Taylor. I have been a Christian for about 17 years being graciously saved under the preaching of Sam Workman at the age of 15. I am husband to Jayne and father to Hannah. I love both of them like crazy. I am a member of a large evangelical church in the greater Belfast area.I am a Research Fellow in the School of Computer Science at Queen's University Belfast and previoulsy worked for nearly six years as a senior software engineer in Nortel Networks.I enjoy listening to alternative country, blues, and 70's rock. I just cannot appreciate classical music ... yet.Currently, my favourite systematic theologies are Wayne Grudem's Systemtatic Theology and Wilhelmus a Brackel's The Christian's Reasonable Service. I also love reading puritan books aloud.I also love the Journal of Biblical Counseling and most of the books pumped out by CCEF.I am currently reading James in my personal/family devotions and have got stuck on verse 2. As a periodic sufferer of depression I often experience a distinct lack of joy.I don't pray often enough nor with enough trust and can be incredibly selfish and lazy at times.Bio ended.

8 Comments:

Blogger Timothy Davis said...

Here are some thoughts on clinical depression and joy, although this is diverging a little from sys theo.

Some forms of depression are down to how people spiritually respond to certain cirucumstances, whereas yours is a chemical defect of the body. You aren't responsible for your lack of joy during depression.

To take an anaology, the Bible calls all men to sing praise to God, but this assumes a healthy individual, not someone who is dumb from birth, or who had some disease that took away their ability to speak.

The same with your problem with joy. You may be able to stop layers of psychological/spiritual depression building on top of your clinical depression, during the times when you are affected, you aren't responsible for the disablement caused by your physical affliction.

If you feel guilt, then recognise that this is false guilt. Our conscience can make us feel guilty about something for which we are not guilty, esp. if you suffering from depression, hunger, or tiredness.

From helping with several individuals with mental health problems, I was amazed to find how ignorant people are about mental health within the Christian community (inc. myself), even those who think they have a gift for counselling, and even those who themselves suffer from ailments like depression.

As you know, some of the greatest men in history had periodic depression, e.g. Charles Spurgeon and Winston Churchill.

I hope this comes across as brotherly love and not as patronising.

Monday, June 26, 2006 6:07:00 PM  
Blogger Timothy Davis said...

What are 1..n point Culverites?

Monday, June 26, 2006 6:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phil,

We'll just have to have you guys over and insidiously play classical music in the background, so that by the time you leave you will be a devoted fan! ;)

Mary

Monday, June 26, 2006 7:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tense and edgy?? You must be listening to the wrong composers... like Wagner!! I can understand him having that effect... but Mozart or Bach? That's usually a recipe for peace and serenity... or is it too peaceful? ;)

Monday, June 26, 2006 7:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although I would usually only listen to it in the background anyway. It just sets the mood. Other times I want oldies...

Monday, June 26, 2006 7:46:00 PM  
Blogger Timothy Davis said...

Thanks for the compliment, Phil. if there is any glory it is God's and not mine.

Alas, if my love for the Lord were truly transparent it would be clear how poor my love really is and how far short of God's glory I fall. I love you Lord, help Thou my lack lack of love!

Monday, June 26, 2006 8:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 7:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»

Friday, August 11, 2006 2:12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home