The Culverites

An on-line reading group working through Dr Robert Culver's Systematic Theology (2005). Please join the conversation!

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Jim's Bio

I'm rector of All Saints' (Episcopal) Church, Anchorage, Alaska. Married with 3 children (28, 25, 16). I am an Anglican evangelical, American style. I have been deeply influenced over the years by Dick Lucas/Proc Trust. There is no better Bible expositor than Dick. The first time I heard him exposit the Bible, I realized how much work I had before me if I were to do what Dick did. If you haven't heard one of Dick's sermons, or one of the many talks/sermons by David Jackman, you need to. You'll find loads of good stuff there.

I heard of Culver's systematics last year. I bought it, and it seems to me what Dick Lucas is to exposition, Robert Culver is to systematics. I have also enjoyed reading several of Culver's other books, each of which is wonderful. I'm not sure, however, if he can convince me to become premil. (I'm amil).

I've been involved in promoting the evangelical cause in the Episcopal church for many years, although at this present moment, you wouldn't know it - given the leftwards direction of PECUSA.

4 Comments:

Blogger C G said...

Greetings, Jim. Looking forward to your comments!

Saturday, June 24, 2006 10:10:00 PM  
Blogger Timothy Davis said...

Welcome Jim! Good to have another experienced believer and pastor. Daniel Hill will be glad for another Anglican. We have 3 Baptists (1 Dispy, 2 Historic Pre-mill, 3 Presbyterians (C of S, ARP and RP) and probably with David 3 Anglicans. Very balanced.

Only one non-academic/ non-pastor though!

Saturday, June 24, 2006 10:51:00 PM  
Blogger C G said...

I'm a Ladd fan too! His NT theology is one of the books that has influenced me most.

Sunday, June 25, 2006 12:43:00 PM  
Blogger Timothy Davis said...

I was really trying to distinguish our Baptist brethren, but as we're declaring our eschatological allegiances, I'm what is often termed an optimistic amill (although this isn't really fair on the other amills).

I'm amill plus I believe that Romans 11 speaks of a time of blessing associated with the majority of Israelites turning to Christ.

William Hendriksen's "More than Conquerors!" basically sums up my view of Revelation, although I'm inclined to believe that Babylon is a symbol for apostate Christianity, esp. the Roman Catholic Church, given how the term 'whore' is used in the OT prophecies.

Sunday, June 25, 2006 1:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home